Sunday, September 30, 2007

and it's done... sort of

Sold the house. Closed on Friday.

Officially living in my 'shabby sheik' place on the same day. My friend Lizzie dropped by today and said 'wow.. you really are doing the monk thing'.

True indeed.

I've got a bed, 4 chairs, a desk with my mondo home computer system on it, some silverware, plates, a Senseo coffee machine, cloths, shoes and 3 plants. Took me 6 weeks to empty out that house of stuff (and about 20 people I know are quite happy right now, especially the person who snarfed the 40 boxes of books for his personal library).. THAT was hard. Much harder than simply moving.

You have to let it go and that sounds easy, right? Try it sometime. Even the people taking your stuff ask you 'are you sure?' about 10 times, then try to talk you into keeping it (whatever it is) before, finally, carting it off.

We really are geared as a species to acquire.

Walls are white and clean. It's very serene right now.

I'm sure I'll add things as time passes, but for now, I love the simple emptiness of it. When I do add things, it'll be after asking myself 'do I really need that?'.

I suspect, most of the time, the answer will be no.

No comments: